Mac Fitness Centre to open August 31, 2020
Over the last several months the Athletics and Recreation team has been working hard to safely and progressively re-open our facilities and provide programming and services that take into account several COVID-19 related variables, including government, public health and University directives, industry standards and Athletics and Recreation’s capacity to deliver the best quality services given our commitment to keep our McGill community active, safe and engaged.
As a first step in our fall 2020 programming, we look forward to welcoming you back to our Fitness Centres, downtown and on the Mac Campus, on August 31, 2020. More details about additional fall programming will follow in the next few weeks. See the FAQ's below for more information about our new policies in the Fitness Centre for Fall 2020.
WHICH FACILITIES ARE OPEN?
The Fitness Centres at the downtown and Macdonald campus will open on August 31, 2020. Additional fall programming, including fitness classes, rec programming and intramurals will become available progressively over the next few weeks.
DO I HAVE TO PURCHASE A FITNESS CENTRE MEMBERSHIP FOR FALL 2020?
McGill Students: For the Fall 2020 semester access to the Fitness Centres at both campuses is included as part the Athletics fee associated with your tuition. No additional payment is required.
Non-McGill students including McGill staff and the general public: Memberships will be sold on a monthly basis at a discounted rate, and can be purchased online at http://macdonaldcampusathletics.ca/memberships/gen-info-how-to-buy-a-membership.
Please contact Client Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 514-398-7789 for more information. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. By appointment only.
HOW DO I RESERVE TIME IN THE FITNESS CENTRE?
Login to Athletics and Recreation’s online booking service, and follow the steps below:
· Click on Book your workout
· Category: Currie Fitness Centre (downtown), Mac Fitness Centre (Macdonald Campus)
· Select the date and time and click on enroll (bookings are limited to 90-minute blocks)
Mac Fitness Centre Hours of Operation
August 31 - Sept 5, 2020
Sept 6&7, 2020 - CLOSED
Starting Sept 8
The Fitness Centre opens 30 minutes after the gym opens for the day/
WHAT SAFETY PROCEDURES HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED TO ENSURE A SAFE WORKOUT?
- You need to reserve a 90-minute block online in order to use the Fitness Centre.
- You need your McGill ID or membership card to access the building.
- Each member may only book one reservation per day, until further notice.
- You must wear a mask while travelling to and from the Fitness Centre and while circulating around the Fitness Centre.
- You can remove your mask while training. In the free weight section, because it is difficult to respect a social distance of two meters, you must ensure that you are wearing your mask as soon as you leave the bench, machine, equipment, etc. Do not approach a strength machine occupied by another person until they have moved on. We recommend bringing a zip lock bag to store your mask while not in use.
- Every exerciser is asked to pick up one of the supplied spray bottles and use it to clean the equipment after use. Please keep the same spray bottle throughout your 90-minute workout. The spray bottles will be cleaned in between each training block.
- In most cases we are using an “every other machine” policy, so no two people are exercising side-by-side. We’ve also instituted limits to the number of people training in certain zones, please see the signage posted on-site.
- Members must stay two meters away from each other at all times while in the building - members who live in the same household are exempt.
- Before and after each activity or use of an exercise machine, members must disinfect their hands and machine with the supplied spray bottle before moving on to the next activity or exercise machine. We highly recommend members bring their own hand sanitizer.
CAN I USE THE LOCKERS ROOMS & SHOWERS?
We’re following a strict, GET IN. TRAIN. GET OUT. policy, which means coming dressed to workout and leaving as soon as your workout is over. The bathrooms in the locker rooms are available for use, but lockers and showers are closed for the time being. These bathrooms are not to be used as a changing room. Please use your supplied spray bottle to clean all touch points after using the bathrooms.
HOW DO I ENTER THE SPORTS COMPLEX?
As with other McGill buildings, the Mac Stewart Athletics Complex doesn’t have an open-door policy. Enter and exit one person at a time through our front door and check in with the gym staff. Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before your scheduled reservation block and stay distanced from others waiting to enter and exit the building.
DO I NEED TO BRING A TOWEL?
Please bring your own towel to workout with. We will only be providing small towels for wiping down machines.