Fitness Center Rules & Etiquette
VALID FITNESS CENTRE MEMBERSHIP
- Access to the Fitness Centre is given only to those with a valid membership or a Day Pass. Please have your ID card prepared to scan at the front entrance for entry.
STORE PERSONAL BELONGINGS
- All personal items must be stored in a locker. There are free day lockers available in the change rooms.
- Backpacks, coats, and other non-training related items are NOT allowed in the gym.
- Items left unattended will be brought to the Lost and Found at the bottom of the stairs.
WEAR PROPER SPORTING APPAREL & PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE
- Only sport training clothing such as t-shirts, shorts or track pants, sports bras, or other athletic gear may be worn. Clothing not classified as workout attire (jeans, ripped or altered clothing, clothing with inappropriate statements, flip flops) may be deemed unacceptable by the Fitness Centre attendants and you may be asked to change and/or leave the facility.
- Athletic footwear (closed toe and heel) must be worn. Street shoes, dress shoes, boots, or outside footwear are NOT allowed.
- Clothing must be laundered; personal daily hygiene is appreciated.
- Avoid using heavily scented personal care products.
- Stay hydrated during your workout and fill up at any of the water fountains.
- Water and sports drinks are ONLY allowed in sealable containers.
- Food & gum are NOT ALLOWED in the gym.
- We are ALL responsible for personal safety in the gym.
- Don’t be a hero – Ask for a spotter when lifting heavy weights overhead/over your face and/or when lifting to failure.
- Use a collar for all barbell work to avoid plates falling off.
- Use proper lifting techniques – if you are unsure, please book in with a personal trainer
- Be aware of personal space – be mindful of placing equipment in high traffic zones, and NEVER walk in front of someone while they are lifting. Wait until they finish their set OR walk behind them.
- Don’t rest on machines/linger in between sets. Please allow others to “work in” and use the equipment in between your sets.
CLEANING UP & STORING EQUIPMENT
- Place your towel between you and the equipment to minimize sweat transfer.
- Wipe down equipment after use. Spray the provided towels first, then wipe down the equipment (especially important for any cardio equipment screens).
- Return equipment to its designated place after use
- Unload your barbell & place plates back in their correctly designated place.
AVOID EXCESSIVE NOISE
- Limit grunting and yelling, and refrain from cursing – the gym is a public place where members are trying to concentrate on performing their workouts.
- Avoid dropping weights unnecessarily - this will damage the equipment and facility. Instead, lift/lower weights with control.
BE COURTEOUS & RESPECTFUL
- THE GOLDEN RULE. Be helpful with first-timers. Listen to the instructions of the Fitness Centre attendants.
- There is a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for any types of harassment of staff or members which may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Behavior that demeans, ridicules, or embarrasses a member, employee, guest, or visitor. This includes comments, gestures, and jokes with may adversely impact the individual’s enjoyment of the Fitness Centre.
- Bullying, mistreatment, intimidation, or teasing creates an uncomfortable environment.
- Verbal abuse, belittling, or excessive profanity.
- Reprisal or retaliation against anyone who invokes this code.
- Harassment, sexual harassment, or discrimination of any kind. Individuals are encouraged to report any alleged incidents of prohibited conduct, whether they feel that it is directed toward them or someone else. All concerns, complaints, or incidents will be dealt with in a fair and timely manner while respecting the complainant’s privacy to the extent possible.
- Theft of any kind will result in expulsion from the facility.